Monday, October 04, 2010

Family Vacation to Beech Mountain

Our gracious neighbor gave us a weekend in her mountain house in Beech Mountain. We realized as we talked on our way there that we've never been on a vacation with just the 4 of us. Our time was really priceless. We laughed so much and really enjoyed each other. We went to Grandfather Mountain and saw bears, cougars, otters, an eagle, & deer. We ate apples off a tree on the side of the road and fudge from a little shop. We saw pumpkins and gourds the size of Charlotte. It was really a blast.

While we were there Charlotte threw up once and had some trouble walking. The wobbly behavior worsened and by yesterday she couldn't walk 2 steps without falling. We took her to the Boone, NC Urgent Care and found she has a "raging infection" in her ear. We decided to leave a day early. We got home last night and went to the pediatrician this morning. He confirmed a second ear infection and said that the behavior is all normal. Her infection is so bad that her equilibrium is offset affecting her balance and making her feel nauseous. She can't really walk today either. It is worst when she is lying down. Every time we change her diaper she says, "I falling, I falling". Poor girl.

In true "back to reality" fashion we had an humorous morning. Parks stayed home with me today (he's the best!) and we dropped off Kate at preschool and went on to the ped. Anyone who has ever taken a kid to the dr knows how that went - waited a long time, kid pulled everything off the counters she can reach, some crying. Not too bad. Then we ran some errands. Charlotte was hilarious, wanting to walk and not be held and bumping in to everything. She threw up all over the carpeted floor of the fabric store. Parks was on his hands and knees scrubbing while I was taking pictures of fabrics for curtain options. Then we picked up Lily Kate. Walking to the car I asked the question I always ask, "Did you go to time out today" and she says the answer she almost always says, "yes". Except today when I asked why she said that she hit Mrs Bolick and Mrs Hartzell (BOTH of her TEACHERS). I was trying not to freak out and trying not to cry of embarrassment. Then she went on to say that she had to visit Mrs Norris (the preschool director - WHAT??). I put her in the car and walked with my red face back to the school to apologize and hear more about what happened. "Lily Kate told me she hit you, I am so sorry, I can't believe she did that..." I started to slow down as I realized that her face was confused....."she didn't hit me"....long story short her story was "pretend". So I spent the drive home explaining that a pretend story when not explained that it is pretend is in fact a lie. Home for time out and lunch....ah, we are back to reality. It sure was fun.

2 comments:

Me said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!! That girl is so crazy :)))

Amber said...

Oh Liz. What a story. I can't believe LK made that story up.