Friday, September 03, 2010

Out of the Mouth of Babes...(or three year olds!)

I have been meaning to post some of the awkward moments I've experienced due to comments from the mouth of my 3 year old. I think I'll keep these coming as they come.

Yesterday an appraiser came over to look at our house (we're refinancing). The nice man said hi to Lily Kate and I asked her to say hi to him and she says, "Hi, you look just like the lady in my Amelia Bedelia books." Promtly I say, "oh, she means man" and she interrupts, "no mom, the lady, here, I'll go get the book" and runs off to her room. I followed her and tried to explain that people don't like to be told that they look like a girl if they are a boy.....she tried to explain that it was actually the woman in the book who looks like a man. I have to agree. Anyone else have those books? Mrs Rogers really does look a lot like a man in the "Amelia goes camping" book. We just stayed in the room while Parks took the man outside.

Last week we were at Lowes Foods when a 50something year old woman walked by. "Hey" says Kate, "she has a baby in her belly, maybe she has 2 because her belly is big, right?" "Nope" I said "no.. no... no she doesn't" We've never talked about a person being overweight, it's a concept I'd like to leave out of her sweet mind at this point. So I just said that some people look like they have babies in their bellies when they don't and we can never ask them if they do, we have to wait until they tell us if they do" She didn't understand this at all. She asked, "why not"..... I swear, this is why moms end up saying "because I said so"

Twice this one has happened - We're in Harris Teeter walking down the isle and a a 2 foot distance Lily Kate loudly asks, "Mom, is that a man or a lady?" The first lady just smiled. I smiled and could not think of a single thing to say. The second time I had a smidge of experience in the situation so I pointed to the far end of the isle (away from our said lady) and said, "that person, oh that's a man". Immediately Lily Kate corrected me as I was speeding the cart away from the lady, "no mom, THAT person, man or lady?"

I've got to get more prepared in these situations, I feel like a deer in headlights every time. If you have any suggestions I'll take them.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh I am cracking up right now. I also love that she put you in your place about Mr. Rogers.

Rebecca said...

Ok, now I'm really laughing b/c I googled that book and I can't believe they are trying to pass Mrs. Rogers off as a woman.

Where in the World are the Powells said...

I am honestly laughing soooo hard!

Anne Aurand said...

My sister has an 8 year old daughter who can read.... "Hey mom, what are hooters?" she says.
Tracy glanced up at the giant busty lady on the billboard. "Oh yeah, they're owls, you know-cause they hoot. It's a restaurant."
Thank God there is an actual owl on the sign. He's hiding behind the lettering, his eyes standing in for the Os, but he's there.
She snorts. "Well, that's a silly name for a restaurant."

J. Harwell said...

Jason and I are CRACKING UP over your post. So funny, and I have no advice of what to do. When our vocal and keenly observant preschooler opens her mouth in public, I cringe and pray that she says something kind or not embarrassing.

So...I guess that's my tactic: Cringe and Pray. hee hee

Love, love, love to the Carpenters...

Jana & Jason

Crissy said...

I love LK!

Amber said...

I am laughing so loud and reading these out loud to my roommate.

The Coley Family said...

Hilarious. Good luck with that one, Liz. I'm afraid you just get to dig up you're old improv skills. I really appreciated your effort to shift the lady/man comments to another person in the store. :)