Thursday, April 14, 2011

Proud parent moments....

I feel like I'm always so emotionally exhausted by Lily Kate's 4yr old amount of self control and trying to encourage her to fight against this selfishness that she was born with.... tonight we had a sweet moment that I was so encouraged by..... I was putting Lily Kate to sleep, we read our devotion book and then I asked her if there was anything that I could pray for her about her day tomorrow at school. She said, "well, tomorrow is our Easter egg hunt and we should pray that when we hunt for the eggs it doesn't make everyone fight and say THAT'S MINE (said in sincere dramatic LK style). " Then she cut herself off and said, "I'll just pray for that, I'll go first". First she prayed to avoid any "THAT'S MINE" incidents and then she thanked God for all of us in the family (including Margaret Lee, who lives with us & LK thinks is in our family). Then she asked God to make her be a helper for Mommy and not to be mean to Charlotte anymore and for God to make her good. How precious, God is molding her and changing her. I was so proud of her and when I told her she was just beaming. As I left she asked (with hopefulness) if I was going to tell Daddy that she did a good job........how precious! Thank you, Lord for that encouragement!

2 comments:

Sarah Carpenter said...

She is so precious and sweet!

The Carpenters said...

Margaret Lee here and just checking the Carpenter blog this evening with 3 sleeping babes in house... Miss Lily Kate, Charlotte, and Samuel Powell. I just left Lil's room after she watched me eat my dinner while we played "Chutes and Ladders" and then we read books together, asked her catechism questions (omigosh this child is a sponge, she just recited all this answers with such articulation), and then read her children's devotional book. As we were going through the questions, we got to 32 or 33 which is something like, "Who tempted Adam and Eve to sin in the garden?" I told her in dramatic bible school teacher way how Eve saw the fruit on the tree and the conversation Satan had with her as he encouraged her to reconsider eating the fruit, negating God's command for her well-being. She LOVED the story and it was a sweet moment of explanation and eager listening on her part, what a gift to be with her tonight. I must say though, my favorite part of our sweet reading time was during catechism questions when we got to, "What is sin?" and she said, "Oh! i love this one! This is my favorite one!" ... so I asked her b/c i was curious, "Lil, why do you like this question more?" and she said, "Because I like the answer because it sounds like, 'CRACKER"!" The answer is, "Sin is any lack of conformity to or transgression of God's perfect law" or something like that. When she told me why she liked it, I abrubtly laughed and she laughed with me and then we both repeated to each other, "Ahh ha ha ha, CRACKER! It sounds like CRACKER!"

That girl is hilarious. I do very much love her.