Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our Almost-Pet

Meet Annie! No, not our next daughter, our pet... sort of. For a couple weeks we had spotted a tiny turtle in the water that runs in front of our house. I mentioned to the girls who live with us that I grew up having turtles for pets and loved them. When we got back from Tate the girls had caught her and she was living in a pie dish in my kitchen. Lily Kate and Charlotte loved her right away. They named her Annie and called her Annie Banany. (Well, Charlotte called her Annie Ba-danny). I tried to feed her everything: lettuce, berries, peaches, raw meat, lunch meat, flies, even Triscuits. The only thing she would eat was flies. Hmmm. I considered the likihood of me catching flies for this turtle on a daily basis. It wasn't going to happen. So, after only a week I had to break the news to Kate and Charlotte that Annie Banany was moving back to the front yard to be reunited with her mom. It was short lived and, knowing Parks, maybe the closest thing we'll ever get to having a pet. Thanks for the memories, Annie!

0 comments: